You may be wondering if you’re a candidate for sleep apnea therapy from Stephen J. Gershberg, DMD. If you think you might have a problem with sleep apnea, we invite you to explore the symptoms and then contact us to discuss diagnosis. Main Line Snoring Solutions can refer you to a sleep center or provide a machine to perform your at-home sleep study in the comfort of your own bed, and this information will be used to determine whether or not you’re suffering from sleep apnea and the severity of your problem. Once your results are received, Main Line Snoring Solutions can work with your physician to design a complete sleep apnea treatment plan for you. Dr. Gershberg is known along the Main Line and throughout the Philadelphia area for providing highly attentive, individualized, and quality care, as well as cutting edge treatment.
What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?
- Chronic daytime fatigue
- Headaches, especially in the morning
- Loud snoring
- Frequent waking or trips to the bathroom throughout the night
- Restlessness during sleep
- Problems with concentration, memory, or mood swings
- Waking up gasping for air or with a feeling of choking
- Sore or dry throat upon waking
If your spouse often complains about your loud snoring or has noticed you struggling to breathe in the night, that’s a big sign that you need to explore the possibility of having sleep apnea.
Many patients overlook the symptoms of sleep apnea because they think they have some other form of sleep or emotional problem. Issues relating to chronic fatigue, moodiness, and concentration are also associated with insomnia and depression, and you may have explored these problems with a health professional in the past. But if you haven’t come up with a solution, you may not have the right diagnosis; cover all your bases and undergo a sleep study performed by a professional. During a sleep study, your heart rate, respiration, eye movement, and brain waves are monitored, as well as the length and frequency of any apneas (long pauses in breathing). Using this information, your physician can determine if you’re suffering with sleep apnea and whether it’s mild, moderate, or severe.
Factors that increase your risk of sleep apnea include:
- Palate problems
- Large tonsils or tongue
- A larger than average neck
- Being overweight or obese
- A short lower jaw
Why should you be so concerned about sleep apnea? Remember, sleep apnea can increase the likelihood of problems like:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Weight Problems
- Memory Issues
- Heart Attack
- Sudden Nighttime Death
This may sound overwhelming – let us help you through the process! We work with a licensed sleep specialist to provide a thorough diagnosis of sleep apnea for patients at Main Line Snoring Solutions. Contact Dr. Gershberg at
(610) 527-6704 to take the next step in overcoming your sleep apnea problem and moving towards a better life. It’s important to remember that sleep apnea and snoring can lead to serious health complications and even death. Our office on the Main Line in the Philadelphia area serves Bryn Mawr, Ardmore, Haverford, Villanova, and St. Davids. Dr. Gershberg also welcomes patients from across the tri-state area, which includes Delaware and New Jersey.